Certified Green Yard
EPC of Hillsborough County Green Yard Program
Green Yard is an industry-friendly program designed to encourage auto salvage facilities to go above and beyond environmental compliance through the use of Best Management Practices (BMPs) and Pollution Prevention (P2) strategies.
EPC utilizes a compliance workbook developed by Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP)and the Florida Dismantlers and Recyclers Association (FADRA) specifically for the auto salvage industry.
- In April 2004, EPC co-sponsored a workshop with FDEP and FADRAto present the Green Yard Program to the 100+ auto salvage facilities in Hillsborough County.
- For more information on this program, please contact Gerry Javier of EPC at (813) 627-2600 ext. 1306, or at [email protected] www.epchc.org/greenyard.htm
- Facilities complete six modules related to waste and stormwater management, pollution prevention plans, and air quality.
- Completed modules are submitted to EPC for review.
- After review, a certification inspection is performed at the facility to ensure the information presented in the modules is actually being implemented.
- Facilities that are in compliance and successfully implement the necessary BMPs and P2 elements are certified as a “Green Yard.”
- A Certificate of Recognition and a Green Yard flag are presented to each facility at the monthly EPC Board meeting. In addition, the facility is listed on EPC’s website advertising they are “green yards.”